Skin and Silk by Dr. Martinez
Mayfairsilk catches up with Dr. Vidaltxo Martinez to discuss all things skin, silk and dermatology.
Passionate about matters of the skin, Dr. Martinez has helped thousands of people over the last decade through his GP consults as a Dermatology Specialist and performs Dermatologic surgical procedures for NHS patients in London. He is fluently bilingual in both English and Spanish with a very friendly disposition.
We met up with Dr. Martinez at The Stonehealth Clinic - London’s leading aesthetic, medical and dental clinic, where instantly we felt comfortable and welcome.
Question 1: What are the common skin conditions you deal with on a day to day basis?
Over the years I’ve treated several skin conditions and the most common ones are:
- Skin rashes or infections
- Hair and nail disorders
- Excessive sweating
- Skin lesions and mole check and monitoring
- Cosmetic problems related to the skin
Passionate about flawless skin that retains its youthful glow over time, we uncovered some of the key insights into maintaining youthful skin over time.
Question 2: What are the top 5 things to maintain healthy skin long term?
Dr. Martinez firmly believes that healthy Skin is a reflection of a healthy lifestyle.
- Reduce Stress - as stress causes inflammation in the body.
- Exercise regularly - helps with circulation, which in turn results in better skin
- Eat Healthy - a balanced diet with greens and probiotics to keep your gut healthy.
- Moisturise “In & Out” - In addition to using moisturisers for dry skin, it is important to stay hydrated by drinking 2 litres of water a day which helps flush out the toxins that build up and accumulate in the body. Sleeping on silk can assist with maintaining your skin's natural hydration levels.
- Avoid irritants - Smoking being a big cause for premature aging and dehydration. Also avoid fabrics and foods that can irritate the skin. Silk is recommended as it's hypoallergenic and the smooth surface is gentle and calming for the skin.
The bottom-line Dr. Martinez believes in is
“If you take care of your skin, your skin will take care of you”.
Question 3: There has been a link between silk and skin health. What have you found in your practise?
Unadulterated silk of the finest quality is used commonly as garments in dermatology for treatments of severe Atopic Dermatitis/Eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions due to its calming effect on the skin and to avoid further irritation.
There are various grades of silk, however pure silk of the highest grade has proven to be exceedingly beneficial to those suffering from dust mite allergies and asthma. 100% pure silk, such as Mayfairsilk is naturally hypoallergenic with antimicrobial properties which reduces the occurrence and symptoms of dust-mite related allergies.
Question 4: Having used Mayfairsilk pillowcases in comparison to cotton pillowcases, have you seen a difference?
“When I made a switch from cotton pillowcases to Mayfairsilk, I instantly noticed how soft and smooth it felt on my skin. With regular use I started noticing the thermoregulating qualities of sleeping on pure thick silk and noticed a reduction in the sensation of heat which I often feel with cotton pillowcases. I no longer find myself waking up in the middle of the night to turn over my pillowcase to sleep on the cooler side and can now sleep right through the night.
Our skin’s natural process of repair takes place at night whilst we sleep and therefore having a restful deep sleep is essential. Better sleep not only has an impact on skin’s health but helps with your overall well-being.“
A quote Dr. Martinez:
“Healthy skin keeps the good things in and the bad things out”.
For more information on Dr. Martinez and The Stone Health Clinic, visit the website here.
At Mayfairsilk, we use the finest grade 6A Mulberry Silk with a special weave for thickness, softness and lustre.
Our silk pillowcases are handcrafted from superior 25 momme and our pure silk sheets and accessories are cut by hand from 22 momme.
For more information and benefits of silk read further.